Situated on the edge of the Cotswolds in the medieval town of Tewkesbury, the Abbey was founded in 1087 by nobleman Robert FitzHamon. However, building of the present Abbey church did not start until 1102. Originally built for the Benedictine monks of the adjoining monastery to worship in, the Norman Abbey was near completion when consecrated in 1121. After the dissolution of the monasteries in 1540, most of the claustral buildings and the Lady Chapel were quarried for their materials. The Abbey Church, however, was sold to the parishioners for £453
Lying at the southern edge of the old town, the Abbey quietly dominates the land and skyline of the surrounding area with its long nave and imposing Romanesque tower. The Abbey is also well known for the collection of medieval stained glass in the windows in the quire, its two pipe organs, and its warm acoustic.